Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spelunking...

Laurel Caverns
Last weekend I went spelunking (aka: caving) at Laurel Caverns in Pennsylvania. This is something I never thought I would do, but my husband planned it, so we went. 

The incredible thing about this experience was that we went 46 floors below ground into completely pitch black caves. Most people take the "upper level" tour where there's lights all around and you can walk through the great caverns, but for those who want a little more adventure, there's the "lower level caving" where there's only our flashlights to shed light. So of course, that's what we did!

Funny how something so adventurous can be such a spiritual experience. With 9 people doing this tour into the deep caves below the mountain, I became aware of some really interesting things. 

During the middle of our tour, the tour guide told us to shut off our flashlights. What I saw was something I've never seen before in my life: complete and utter darkness. Not an ounce or drop of light to be seen anywhere. I didn't move, but I did wave my hand before my face just to see if there was the remote possibility I could see something, but of course nothing. After I did that, our guide told us to wave our hands in front of our faces...I just laughed because it was my first instinct. 

She stated at in complete and total darkness like this you last 8-10 minutes then become disoriented and lose complete sense of direction; after 10 minutes, you become delusional.

I found it interesting that this was such a spiritual implication in life. Individuals go their whole life in darkness apart from Christ Jesus. They go where the "wind takes them" or follow what seems to be the best or right option, but not necessarily the truth or light. 

Life in complete darkness leaves you disoriented without a sense of direction or knowing which way to really go, so you go whichever way you can...usually into deeper darkness. Delusion of living life in darkness becomes the norm and comfortable, but never gives true peace and joy. 

Jesus came as the light of the world. As disciples of Christ, we are "all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness." 1 Thessalonians 5:5

"To open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me." Acts 26:18

Darkness is never a good place to be, but if you've been in it long enough, you don't even realize you're in it. The true light is found in the Son of God, Jesus Christ. May you find the light!


1 comment:

  1. Love the imagery. "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

    ReplyDelete